Thursday 26 February 2015

portfolio profession development

Portfolio Profession Development


My portfolio was for a showcase, therefore, first I did some research and later went to  4 galleries to find out if I could display my work in their gallery.  


  • First was the central library where first they said yes but later I was refused maybe because they asked me what I needed and i asked for boards and frames and they do not supply them anymore.  Furthermore they have stopped displaying work on the first floor.  
  • The  second gallery I contacted was IKON. There the waiting list is around there years and you have to send your work in and wait for a reply for month.
  • The third gallery was in  the ICC. They were very helpful, spent time with me and said I can send my samples in, making sure the images are of very low resolution  so no one can print them or I can had them in.  They do the printing and the frame work and I don't have to pay anything towards it, but once they sell the pictures they do keep a percentage and I would have to sign a contract to agree. If i have any pictures I don't want to sell then I need to tell them before the pictures are displayed. 
  • My 4th stop was a gallery opposite Snow Hill station. They have galleries all over the world and again I don't have to pay anything. They do the printing, framing and you must want to sell and they keep a percentage of the the price once the image is sold. They will only display what you want to sell.  The pictures in that gallery were very well done.
  • The gallery off Graham Street was for amateurs  and professionals. If you sign for a membership which is £35 a year, the professionals at times may pick 1 of your image out of 3 and display it with theirs, but you have to frame your picture in an expensive wooden frame and it may not be picked.
  • My last gallery was in St Martins church. Here, after viewing a sample of my work they agreed to display my work. He explained that a theme was important and helped me with this plus they will be helping me with putting boards up.
However, I think it was good I did not get space in the professional galleries because I need experience and there will be mistakes as it is my first time, so it's best to start from the bottom and work my way up.

That 's why in the last week I decided to apply to university.


I applied part-time at university after considering financial options:
  1.  If I was studying full time, I could only have a loan during study time and not during holiday time. Because I have a rented house, this would be a problem for me because I may not be able to find a job in the holidays to pay my rent.
  2. Therefore part -time studying was a good option. Also, because of my age, part - time will not wear me out and I will have time for family and friends.
  3. My university funding will be from the Student government loan, once I have been given a place at university and will pay the loan back when I start earning £25,000

IN THE END I DID ONE PORTFOLIO FOR THE SHOWCASE AND I AM DOING ONE FOR THE UNIVERSITY BECAUSE THE UNIVERSITY SAID THEY WANT TO SEE DIFFERENT TYPES OF WORK.  





No comments:

Post a Comment